Discovering New Talent
Tammy Setzer Denton - Writer
RSS Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Comments and Advertising, Oh My!
THESE Women
2016 Reading List
Reviewing the Year & Plotting the Next
Frankenfoot and the Writing Frenzy

Categories

#THESE Women, Women March, Trump Policies, marginalized, discrimination, femenism,
Apology
Everyday Writing
Favorite Places, Indie Book Stores
flooding, Missouri, thunderstorm, small towns,
Frankenfoot, The Carlton, Writing Frenzy, Foot Surgery
Fun Stuff
Holidays
ivy, ivy league, prune, edit, fiction, blog, wise old woman, neighbor
manuscript evaluation, editing
Marketing
NaNo, writing, blog, writers
new novels, works in progress, kidney failure, transplants, Transplant tourism, china
New Year, Goals, Year in Review, Lists, Accomplishments
Newsworthy Notes
Once Upon a Time, Robert Carlyle, Rumplestiltskin, Mr. Gold, query letter, grant
Published
Words of Wisdom
Writing Forums, Q & A
Writing Groups, Critique Groups, Improving Writing Skills
powered by

Page & Paragraph

Discovering New Talent

I love when I get the opportunity to discover new talent. Okay, maybe I didn't discover them, but I did just recently find them.

One such talent is Robin Sloan, author of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (his debut novel!). I may have found a new favorite book.

Mr. Penumbra's is a book lover's dream, a bibliophile's paradise. It references other books, drops hints and clues to an even greater book loving group while incorporating quirky characters (I am Ms. Lapin.), the Google campus, art, bookstores, and a quest. How can anything get any better than that? Don't just take my word for it, check out the reviews and comments on Good Reads. The book also glows in the dark! There's nothing I don't like about this book!

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves books or loves reading books (and yes, there is a difference).

I personally love books on so many levels. From reading to the way they are made, the quality of paper, the illustrations, type setting, the endpapers, and so much more.

To me, marbled endpapers are to swoon for,

a deckle edge is almost
      orgasmic--almost!

I love to hold a used, but well-loved book in my hands and imagine all the other hands who've held it before me, all the other eyes that have read the words, the fingers that have traced a particularly intriguing line. A book with a well-broken in spine shows the love given it when it was first purchased. A book losing its pages shows me that it wasn't taken care of properly by someone who either didn't know or (dare I think it?) didn't care.

What was your favorite book of 2013?

P.S. I have another previously undiscovered talent that I hope to bring to you in 2014. This one is totally my discovery, and doesn't have to do with books, but will captivate and fascinate you in addition to leaving you in awe of his talent.

Torture, isn't it?

16 Comments to Discovering New Talent:

Comments RSS
Thea Constantine on Monday, August 11, 2014 7:18 PM
I just love loving books and so appreciate when I read someone who feels the same way. So many of us are writers and often it's all about 'read me--do this--like that' that we forget why it was we got into this whole mess. I love Mr Punumbra too, what a wonderful breath of fresh air it was. I'm going to have to think hard about what my favorite of last year was. This year I'm loving Charles de Lint although he's been around for a while he's new to me!

custom paper on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:33 AM
I like the paper-eared books:) They are so nice and it shows that it's interesting and read many times. Good luck in opening new talets.

Tom C on Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:20 AM
Its looking me little tough but I shall try to cover this in one week.I have to go to meet my family as well.Let me make a proper time schedule for this.Thanks for updating me.

assignmenthelpers on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 7:36 AM
I believe that a winner does hard work and when he or she won it. He knows better than others how much he or she did work hard for it.

Jeffry Byrd on Wednesday, January 09, 2019 12:39 AM
This article is very good. check for check it. shareit apk android utorrent pro apk free download youtube go app

Buy Burberry Ja on Friday, January 18, 2019 4:47 AM
Interesting topic what you have shared with us. Your writing skill is really very appreciative. I love when you share your views through the best articles.Keep sharing and posting articles like these.This article has helped me a lot.Keep posting this stuff.

Toronto paralegals on Friday, January 18, 2019 5:05 AM
It was definitely a great topic to read about. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. If you want to learn more about commercial real estate, search for Lawrence Todd Maxwell on Google.

airport pickup service on Friday, January 18, 2019 5:54 AM
Thanks tammysetzerdenton for sharing your thoughts and you said exactly right that will be good for our kids. I think so that seasonal and holiday book is good for the kids than any other things and that's why I am encouraging you to publish more like this. Good work

the umbrella academy jacket on Friday, March 08, 2019 5:13 AM
I love the style of your writing articles. It just amazing. The blog post is very connective and attractive. All the information I found in post is very useful.

alextyler on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:56 AM
I saw the different post of this website. I am glad to get the different knowledge about many interesting topics. Discovering new talent is very impressive post you share. Keep it up and keep sharing. Get gymnastic mats from http://gymnasticmatsuk.co.uk/

how to get free v bucks on Friday, May 10, 2019 3:32 AM
In addition to a banner account, V-Bucks is the only resource / item that is currently shared between game modes.

monitors ideas on Tuesday, July 09, 2019 3:32 AM
Get a wide range of Samsung Monitors in India - Curved, Super Slim, Touch of Colors, UHD Monitors and more

things to do on Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:41 AM
Nice post. I learn some thing very complicated on diverse blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to learn to read content using their company writers and rehearse something from their site. I’d want to use some with all the content in this little blog regardless of whether you do not mind. Natually I’ll provide link on your own internet blog. Thank you sharing.

david on Saturday, August 24, 2019 2:49 AM
You have shared wonderful blog with me. I liked the content. This is informative and very interesting. Thanks for sharing this blog with me. product boxes online

karal on Monday, August 26, 2019 7:22 AM
This is a good blog about the page and paragraph. I just would like to say you have shared very quality stuff in your content. This was quite new information for me. custom made cardboard boxes

Halloween Costume Jacket on Wednesday, August 28, 2019 1:36 AM
Nice and interesting post,I appreciate your hard work,keep uploading more, Thank you for sharing valuable information.